The song has been widely covered and has become a hit single for four different artists: P.P Arnold (1967), Keith Hampshire (1973), Rod Stewart (1977) and Sheryl Crow (2003).
The song concerns someone apprehensive about entering a new romantic relationship because he is still suffering from being hurt by his first love: However, the song continues:
- The first cut is the deepest, Baby I know —
- The first cut is the deepest
- 'Cause when it comes to being lucky, she's cursed
- When it comes to lovin' me, she's worst
- But when it comes to being loved, she's first
- That's how I know
- The first cut is the deepest.