Sunday 29 May 2011

Cat Stevens - The First Cut Is The Deepest (1981)

Cat Stevens,The First Cut Is The Deepest,UK,Deleted,LP RECORD,521833

Cat Stevens earned two ASCAP songwriting awards in consecutive years for "The First Cut is the Deepest", which has been a hit single for four different artists. "The First Cut Is the Deepest" is a 1967 song written by Cat Stevens, originally released by P.P. Arnold in the spring of 1967. Stevens' own version of the song is technically a cover, and originally appeared on his album New Masters in December 1967.

The song has been widely covered and has become a hit single for four different artists: P.P Arnold (1967), Keith Hampshire (1973), Rod Stewart (1977) and Sheryl Crow (2003).

File:Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens).jpg

The song concerns someone apprehensive about entering a new romantic relationship because he is still suffering from being hurt by his first love: However, the song continues:

The first cut is the deepest, Baby I know —
The first cut is the deepest
'Cause when it comes to being lucky, she's cursed
When it comes to lovin' me, she's worst
But when it comes to being loved, she's first
That's how I know
The first cut is the deepest.
I still want you by my side
Just to help me dry the tears that I've cried
'Cause I'm sure gonna give you a try
And if you want I'll try to love again

No comments:

Post a Comment