Saturday 2 July 2011

David Haye Defeated

David Haye will consider his future after Wladimir Klitschko took his World Boxing Association heavyweight title last night in a dominant demonstration of range and superior defence.

David Haye considers future after blaming Wladimir Klitschko defeat on broken toe

Haye revealed that he had broken his little toe three weeks ago in sparring, but there is no escaping the fact that this was a one-sided drubbing at the hands of Klitschko.

The giant Ukrainian basked in the glory after unifying four of the world belts, taking the championship bout on a unanimous landslide decision, 117-109, 118-108, 116-110. He now holds the IBO, IBF, WBO and WBA belts. His elder brother, Vitali, is the WBC champion. Between them, the Klitschko family have unified the heavyweight division.

Haye said: “I came into this fight knowing I might not be at my best. I gave as much as I could. I could not push up with my right leg. I broke my right toe in training, but did not want to pull out of the fight. It is one of those things. I thought the training would be enough to get me through.”

The excuse was dismissed as facile by former world champions Lennox Lewis, Barry McGuigan and Johnny Nelson.

Haye also complained about the refereeing after being forced to the floor on several occasions by Klitschko, who was deducted a point in the seventh round for just that by referee Genaro Rodriguez.

No comments:

Post a Comment